Thursday, March 17, 2005

Audio Chat / VOIP

So I'm assuming that most of you have computers. I'm also assuming that
you have friends or relatives that are normally a long distance call,
and while most of us also have cell phones anymore, not all of us have
nationwide plans. But if you have a fairly recent model computer that
can run AOL's instant messenger or you're on a Mac with iChat, you can
talk long distance for free.

Well, maybe not free. You'll need speakers and a microphone or a headset
with a microphone but that's a heck of a lot cheaper than long distance
(over a period of time).

Of course pretty soon its going to be very cheap to use long distance.
The phone companies and cable companies are waking up to the VOIP
technology and I don't doubt that within a year or two at most, we'll
all have that technology available. Yes, we do even now with Vonage and
Packet something or other, but they'll probably not last too long once
the phone and cable companies catch up.

But in the meantime, anyone that wants to chat, feel free to drop an
email with a time and your AOL I.D. and I'll be there. I'd love to test
it out (well yeah, I have already with another Mac user but we use
iChat. Its supposed to work just as well with PC's and AOL IM so I'd
love to test it), that's why I've included my AOL info in my signature.
(Of course most of you that are reading this also know that Deb and I
will be away until the 28th, right? Keep checking this space for
updates.)

Best,
Bruce

http://rosey462.blogspot.com/
notsosilentbruce on AOL IM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's the new update?? What state are you in now? I need to know!!! sdh

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home