Sunday, October 07, 2007

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

I liked it!

Okay, its not a master piece by any means, but its a pretty solid film,
entertaining, funny, exciting, what more could I ask? No, doesn't follow
the comic very closely, but wouldn't that be kind of boring? I'm not a
big fan of departures as far as say, Catwoman, but I don't mind if its
not exact. Heck, sometimes it works better!

The movie mixes several events, the marriage of Sue and Reed, the
arrival of the Silver Surfer (and The coming of Galactus of course), and
a lter story wherein Dr. Doom steals the Surfer's powers. The
screenwriters and the filmakers manage to keep the story moving along at
a good pace to what I consider a satisfactory ending. On the whole the
film is lighthearted and never so dark that older children will have any
troubles with it.

The Surfer has gained a power that I don't recall from the comics, that
of being able to phase through solid objects without disturbing them. In
keeping with his cosmic powers though, I don't find this particularly
disturbing as it soon becomes apparent that he weilds much more power
than the comic book version. Johnny Storm, the Human Torch however,
seems to have gained the power of supersonic flight, which does disturb
me a bit. Earlier in the story he decides to fly himself to Japan rather
than fly coach. Then, In a chase sequence, he follows the Surfer from
New York to Washington D.C. In mere moments. I don't recall his being
that fast, or for that matter, have that much stamina. But, its a minor
quibble really.

The special effects are very well done, and rarely does the 3D animation
become over obvious. Strangely, with all the money they spent on special
effects, Reed Richard's greying hair around his ears looks horribly
fake. And while I don't agree with John Byrne's assertion that blonde
hispanics all look like hookers, I will agree that Jessica Biel as a
blonde just doesn't look very natural.

In comparrison with other superhero films, and bearing in mind that it
doesn't appear to aspire to being art, but just entertaining, and to me
is above average, I'd gladly give a 3 out of 5 score.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home