Sunday, February 04, 2007

New Gods Return?

Well, no, but if you check out Ultimate Fantastic Four #'s 33 through 38
you'll find what appears to be a very well done homage.

I've only read two of the issues so far (for those who don't know, I
have this weird thing with story arcs where I don't read them until
they're complete. What's weird about that I suppose is that I might as
well have waited for the trade edition!) So far we've met a team of
super powered teens that rode into our dimension on a biological
oversized motorcycle (Forever People), after having saved Tessaract
(Orion) from the Acheron (Apokolypse) where he was a brainwashed warrior
for the evil Gallowglass (Darkseid).

I'd actually hesitated to read this because a friend had told me that he
wasn't a big fan of Mike Carey's writing, but I figured if I read it,
and disliked it, this was the time to stop buying this comic. Two issues
in and I'm loving it. I will report back when I'm finished but so far
I'm loving it, even if it is borrowed liberally from Kirby.

check out my latest podcasts at:
KomicsKast.libsyn.com and
Comicspodcastcrossover.libsyn.com
http://rosey462.blogspot.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Sounds cool, Bruce. Glad you enjoy it. I was quite on again, off again with UFF. The first run was alright... and while Ellis wasn't bad, I found his plotting to be insanely slow. The Doom arc comes to mind. I remember it was one issue to talk about fighting Doom, one issue to fly there, and then another issue to actually fight him. I finally decided it wasn't worth it.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Bruce R said...

I've come to the realization that most comics anymore are written in story arcs, hence my reluctance to read them issue by issue. So why am I paying $2.99 and issue when I can just read the trade, save money, and avoid all the annoying ads? UFF gets canceled as a monthly when I visit the comic shop this week!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Tony Guagliardo said...

And how about that Pasqual Ferry art? I forget who the colorist is but he deserves to be commended too. These issues are beautiful.

I enjoyed the story very much but I must admit I was often confused while reading it. Too many names I didn't recognize. Difficult to keep track who I was supposed to be rooting for. : )

Tony

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home