Monday, March 21, 2005

Road Trip - Day 8 part 2 - Saturday

Pinnacle Peak is a western steakhouse that we considered a huge treat
when we were children living in Phoenix. Traditions there included
cutting off the tie of anyone foolhardy enough to wear one, and when
someone orders a steak well done, an old boot on a sizzling platter was
brought out first. You can imagine our childish glee when we saw one of
those events!
My favorite Pinnacle Peak story: my dad stepped out of his Central Ave
(downtown Phoenix) office to get some lunch. As he walked traffic on the
6 lane road came to a screeching halt as people started jumping from
their cars to grab paper floating down from the sky. My dad realized it
was money but was reluctant to run out in the street. Just then a bill
fluttered down onto the fireplug in front of him, it was a $100 bill.
Another landed on a window sill, but sadly, that was only a $1 bill. He
got home, told the story, and said we were all going to Pinnacle Peak,
including my buddy Tony, who was over at the time.
The only way I would eat steak in those days was with ketchup and my dad
would make such a fuss, I just avoided steak. So when orders were taken,
I ordered a hamburger and my mom will tell you that my friend Tony's
face dropped as he ordered a hamburger too. Mom and dad assured him that
he could order a steak and I'm sure my dad regaled him with a story of
my steak eating disorder! LOL!
We found out the next day that a businessman in Phoenix was
demonstrating to his board of directors how they were wasting his money.
(Among his assets was the Phoenix Giants Minor League baseball team.) He
opened a briefcase with $10,000 in assorted bills and chucked the money
out the window. The police wanted to charge him with disturbing the
peace. We thought he was a hero!
The steaks aren't nearly as big as I recall but the thousands and
thousands of neck ties still decorate every ceiling beam in the place. I
asked the waitress if they still had the same response for steaks
ordered well done and she assured me that even she's gotten more than
one boot as she likes her steak well done.
After dinner we jumped back on the "Loop" the beltway around the Phoenix
area to find a hotel. After trying three different places we were
informed that there wasn't a room to be had in Phoenix as minor league
training opened next day. (We also found out later that there was a big
airshow all weekend.) We decided to head south and hope for a room in
that direction. Deb called Best Western in the next town but they had no
rooms. I then noticed we were headed towards Tempe and so she checked
with the one there. They only had one room left and it was a smoking
room but at this point we were happy for it.
We checked in and were relieved to find that the room was fine. Problem
was it was next to the pool which had several screaming children in it.
It was only 9:30 so we decided to join in the merriment and put our
suits on for a dip in the hot tub. We were in for maybe 20 minutes and
not long after we left they closed the pool. Phew!

Bruce and Debbie
http://rosey462.blogspot.com/
notsosilentbruce on AOL IM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home