Saturday, December 22, 2007

APHC - Live!

My darling wife, Debbie, was kind enough to track down tickets for A
Prarie Home Companion show at Lehigh Universities Zoellner Arts Center
in Bethlehem.

She tried very hard to get tickets to the Saturday actual recording of
the show but got burnt by the online ticket sales because she didn't set
up an account fast enough, and try as she might, couldn't get tickets
before they sold out in an hour.

About a month later she got a call that they were adding another show
and would she like tickets? She got us a pair.

So what we actually saw was a dress rehearsal for the Saturday show, but
instead of a two hour show, we got three hours! We got a lot more music
than the final show but for me, that was fine as quite a bit of it was
by Pat Donahue played on several of the various guitars that he was
loaned from the nearby Martin Guitar plant in Nazerath. I love guitar
music, pretty much any type.

The Central Moravian Church Choir, and the Bethlehem Bach Choir each did
several numbers as well as backed up Keillor and crew with not only
regular musical numbers but comedy skit numbers as well, variously
moo-ing, baa-ing, and howling as cow, sheep, and wolf populated choirs.

The skits included a Dusty and Lefty, Catchup, Be Bop A Re Bop Rhubard
Pie, and Powdermilk Biscuits, starring Garrison Keillor, Tim Russel, Sue
Scott, and Fred Newman. And of course, the Guy's All Star Shoe band were
on hand to provide bumper music, backup music, and just general all
around music. Listening to the actual broadcast this evening, I find
that the skits themselves are all there, but they've had to pick and
choose between all the different musical pieces and choose what works
the best. Pretty interesting to see what was chosen, and in what order
its presented.

Robin and Linda Williams also did several songs on the show, and were
all by themselves, a great show.

Sitting in what was essentially the second row, we were about 15 feet
from the stage and both Deb and I enjoyed the show a lot. I'm sure its
one of those things I'll never forget, and having seen Michael Feldman's
Wha' Dya' Know (with special guests They Might Be Giants) in NYC a
couple years ago I have to admit, I sort of feel complete. Now I can
just laze around in my easy chair watching the TV or listening to the
radio from now on! If you ever get the chance to see the show live, my
advice would be to jump at the chance!

check out my latest podcast at:
http://komicskast.libsyn.com
my comics at: http://dutchydigest.tripod.com/
And my blog at: http://rosey462.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home